Whole Number 178
In the Quarterly of June 1995, Whole No. 170, pp.4454-4480, we published an article entitled "18.104.22.168.1.2 Millington Sparks, III (ca.1775-ca.1835), and Some of his Descendants." On page 4458 of that article, we gave information regarding a great-grandson of 22.214.171.124 Millington Sparks named John Richard Sparks, who was born October 12, 1860, in Bastrop County, Texas; John married Millie Ann Joyner ca. 1883. They were the parents of three sons and two daughters.
A granddaughter of John Richard Sparks, Mildred Maurine (Sparks) Singleton, of Abilene, Texas, 79603, has generously shared with us the photograph of this family appearing on the cover of this issue of the Quarterly, as well as those of two of their sons appearing on page 4807. Mrs. Singleton is a daughter of Emmett Elwood Sparks, the youngest son.
An obituary of John Richard Sparks appeared in a local newspaper following his death near Valera in Coleman County, Texas, in September 1939. This reads as follows:
Funeral Held Saturday for John R. Sparks
Funeral services for Mr. John R. Sparks were held at the Valera Methodist Church Saturday afternoon, September 23, Rev. A. W. Ferrill officia ting. Interment in Valera Cemetery.
Mr. Sparks was born at Matchacha Springs, near Austin, in 1860. For over thirty years he has been living near Valera. He is survived by one brother, S. H. Sparks of Lometa; two sisters, Mrs. Bell Knight of Quanah and Mrs. Ida Moore of Port Arthur; three sons, Reuben and Emmitt of Valera and Preston of Brownwood, two daughters, Mrs. J. B. Sleuder and Mrs. L. E. Maracle of Valera, and a host of relatives and friends.
Friends were shocked to hear that Mr. Sparks had died of a heart attack about 11 on Friday morning. He held a place of high esteem in Valera. At one time he was a trail-driver and made several trips up the Old Chisolm Trail. He was a member of the Christian Church.
Mime Ann (Joyner) Sparks was born April 15, 1855, and died on September 25, 1935. Both she and her husband were buried in the Valera Cemetery.
Information regarding their five children appears on pp.4458-59 of the Quarterly, although we did not then have birth and death dates for all of them. Following is supplemental information supplied by Mrs. Singleton.
(1) John Reuben Sparks was born July 12, 1884; he died on April 28, 1969. He did not marry. His photograph appears on page 4807.
(2) Maggie Thula Sparks was born May 26, 1887; she died on September 11, 1977. (Her date of birth given on page 4458 of the Quarterly was in error.) She married James Baily Sluder in 1909.
(3) Agnes Beulah Sparks was born March 22, 1891; she died on March 22, 1970. She married Luther Maricle.
(4) Preston Marvin Sparks was born September 9, 1893; he died on March 22, 1972. He married Ruth Hardy.
(5) Emmett Elwood Sparks was born April 12, 1895; he died on December 2, 1985. He married Jannie Estelle Garrison. His photograph appears on page 4807; he was the father of Mrs Singleton.