Whole Number 89
Diane L. Subers, 78 Ballston Ave., Ballston Spa, New York (12020) is seeking information on the family, including the parentage, of her great-great-grandparents, Emanuel and Sallie (Wyatt) Sparks. They were residents of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the mid-1800's and lived on Queen Street, between Front and Delaware Streets. Emanuel and Sallie (Wyatt) Sparks were the parents of the following children:
1. Rachel Sparks, married James Grogan.
2. Amanda Sparks, born 1859, died 1947, married Francis J. Krauss.
3. Annie Sparks, married Zachariah Anderson.
4. Mary Sparks, married Gilbert Anderson.
5. William Sparks, married Anna Wonderly.
6. Virginia Sparks, married George B. Hutchens.
7. Boy, twin of Virginia, died as an infant.
Whole Number 89
QUERY - WILLIAM A. SPARKS, born ca. 1807-1808
Marva Tanner Jackson (Mrs. John M.), P.O. Box 1551, Casper, Wyoming (82601) is searching for information regarding her great-great-great-grandfather, William A. Sparks, who, according to census records, was born in Kentucky about 1807-1808. His wife's name was Mary J. Sparks; from census records it would appear that she was born ca. 1815-1816 in Kentucky. Family records indicate that her maiden name was either Delaney or Dulaney and that she was of Scotch-Irish ancestry. It is possible that she was William A. Sparks's second wife; if she were his first wife, based on the age of the oldest daughter, they must have been married about 1832.
William A. Sparks apparently moved from Kentucky to Missouri either before or soon after his marriage, because, according to census records, all of his children were born in Missouri. When the 1850 census was taken, the family was living in Monroe County, Missouri; they were still in Monroe County when the 1870 census was taken (we have not had the 1880 census searched).
Based on meager family records and the census records of 1850, 1860, and 1870, it appears that the children of William A. and Mary J. (Delaney) Sparks (all born in Missouri) were:
1. Ann C. Sparks, born ca. 1833. She was listed as their oldest child on the 1850 census, age 17. She was not listed with the family in 1860 so had probably married by that date.
2. John R. Sparks, born ca. 1834. His age was given as 16 on the 1850 census. He was no longer living with his parents in 1860. Family records indicate that he married Mary Moore.
3. William H. Sparks, born ca. 1836. His age was given as 14 on the 1850 census; he was no longer living with the family in 1860. He was probably the William Sparks listed on the 1870 census of Monroe County, Missouri, as a druggist, age 33, with wife Martha (age 22, born in Missouri) and two daughters, Bena (2 years) and Leona (1 year). A Sim Sparks (age 26) and wife Ellen were living with him in 1870.
4. Mary F. Sparks, born ca. 1838. His age was given as 12 on the 1850 census. She was no longer living with the family when the 1860 census was taken.
5. Mildred Sparks (?), born ca. 1844. Her age was given as 6 on the 1850 census, but she was not listed with the family in 1860. Since Sarah Elizabeth Sparks was born, according to family records, on June 22, 1844, it is possible that the census taker erred in 1850 in giving this daughter's name as Mildred.
6. Sarah Elizabeth Sparks, born June 22, 1844. Her name was not listed on the 1850 census, but appeared as Sarah E. Sparks, age 16, on the 1860 census. Family records reveal her exact birth date and indicate that she was married about 1865 to Robert Andrew Moore (born 1842). She died on June 19, 1926.
7. Zachariah T. Sparks, born ca. 1847. His name appears as "Jeremiah" on the 1860 census, but as Zachariah on both the 1850 and 1870 census records. He was still living with his parents in 1870 (age 23); like his father, he was a farmer; he was married at this time (1870) to Mary J. -----, born in Indiana about 1852.
8. Thomas S. Sparks was born in February 1850; his age was given as 6 months when the census taker recorded the family on August 26, 1850. He was still living with his parents in 1870. According to family records, he was called T. Spencer Sparks.
9. Theresa L. Sparks, born ca. 1851.
10. Dulaney (or Dulaney) F. Sparks, born ca. 1855.
11. Jones (or James) Sparks, born ca. 1857. He was listed as 3 years old on the 1860 census, but was not listed with the family in 1870.
12. Sterling P. Sparks, born ca. 1858. He was listed as 12 years old when the 1870 census was taken, but had not been listed on the 1860 census. It is possible that the Jones (or James) Sparks listed as 3 years old in 1860 was confused with Sterling P. Sparks.
A woman named Nancy Barton was listed as living with this family on the census records of 1850, 1860, and 1870. Each of these records gives her place of birth as Kentucky; she was born ca. 1796 -1800. She was probably a relative of the family. There were Sparks-Barton family connections in the adjoining Kentucky counties of Bourbon and Harrison which may provide a clue for tracing the family of William A. Sparks. In Bourbon County, an Andrew Barton, in a will dated June 16, 1829, left property to the four children of his deceased daughter, Sarah Sparks; he named Sarah's children as James Sparks, Hiram Sparks, William Sparks, and Margaret Sparks, all under 21 in 1829. Unfortunately, the husband of Sarah (Barton) Sparks is not identified in this will, although a Sarah Barton had married a William Sparks on 15 January 1815, in Bourbon County (Book 2, page 56). Was he the same William Sparks who married Eliza Barton in Bourbon County on September 21, 1826? (Book 2, p. 90) Andrew Barton also left property in 1829 to a son named Stephen Barton. There is a record of the marriage of a Stephen Barton to a Nancy Sparks on June 10, 1814 in Bourbon County (Book 2, 56). There is also a record of a Nancy Sparks who married a Stephen Barton in Harrison County, Kentucky, on January 11, 1831 (no. 2463). These two Nancy Sparkses were obviously different people, and one of them could have been the Nancy Barton living with the family of William A. Sparks between 1850 and 1870.
QUERY - SAMUEL E. SPARKS, born 1822
Mrs. Glenda Clyman, Box 124, Sidney, Iowa (51652) is seeking information about the ancestry of her great-great-grandfather, Sameul E. Sparks, who appears on the 1850 census of Callaway County, Missouri, with his wife, Mary (Walker) Sparks, and their sons, Henrick C. Sparks, age 2, and John T. Sparks, age 1. Samuel E. Sparks was born ca. 1822 in Virginia and Mary was born ca. 1830 in Tennessee. They were married in Callaway County, Missouri, on December 31, 1846. Sameul died sometime between 1850 and 1853, probably in Callaway County, and Mary remarried in March 1853. Can anyone help Mrs. Clyman with her genealogical problem?