October 27, 2018
Whole Number 192
INVITATION TO CEREMONY - EAGLE LAKE, TEXAS
Thomas L. Zumwalt, 234 E. Nottingham Place, San Antonio, Texas (78209), a long time member of the Association, extends an invitation to Sparks relatives to attend a ceremony scheduled for March 31, 2001, at 11:00 A.M. at the Masonic Cemetery in Eagle Lake, Texas. It will be in conjunction with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, that members of the Sparks family will place markers on Nancy Johnson Sparks Roberts' grave as a 'Citizen of the Republic of Texas' and on Thomas Jefferson Roberts' grave as a receiver of the 'Southern Cross of Honor.' Mr. Zumwalt writes that his mother, Dorothy Maye White, 'and several other relatives have joined the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the United Daughters of the Confederacy on the Jacob E. Sparks and Nancy Johnson and Thomas Jefferson Roberts names.'
For further information, Mr. Zumwalt can be reached by telephone (210-824-7809) or by E-Mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mr. Zumwalt is related to the Sparkses through both his mother and his father. On his father's side, it was 184.108.40.206.4.5 Nancy Caton, daughter of 220.127.116.11.4 Esther Sparks and Jesse Caton, who married Adam Zumwalt on May 6, 1813, in St. Charles County, Missouri. They became the great-great-great-grandparents of Thomas. 18.104.22.168.4 Esther Sparks (born March 20,1770) was a daughter of 22.214.171.124 Jonas Sparks about whom an article appeared in the Quarterly of June 1964, Whole No. 45.
Mr. Zumwalt's mother is a daughter of 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52 Vivian Sparks (1894-1971) who was married in 1913 to Charles Thomas White. (Vivian's photograph appears on the following page.) Vivian's paternal grandparents were 184.108.40.206.1.8 Jacob and Nancy (Johnson) Sparks. (See the Quarterly of March 1989, Whole No.145.) Mr. Zumwalt thus descends through each of his parents from the 17th century immigrant from Hampshire County, England, 1.2 William Sparks, who died In Queen Annes County, Maryland, in 1709.